Wednesday 7 October 2015

Psalm 18:2 - Pat van Wyk

Written in 2005

Acknowledgement


I would like to thank my son Tienie for editing this book and for all the help that he gave me in putting this book together.

Many thanks to my Cell group, my Husband and also my Mother who worked on Psalm 18:2 with me; Odette and Mark who helped proof read it.

Introduction


Psalm 18 verse 2, has always intrigued me. We read the Bible but do we understand the words - even the simple and easy to understand words. Does it really sink in? Does it mean anything to you? Yes, Psalm 18:2 is a lovely verse.

When I found out the meaning of the words in the Psalm, I found real meaning in praying this verse over and over again. I have found since then, that it has become a real anchor to me and I pray the Holy Spirit will break it open to you in a very real way.

Psalm 18:2 NKJV
“The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield, and the horn of my salvation, and my stronghold.”

Let us start by taking a look at the words:


  • The Lord is my Rock
  • The Lord is my Fortress
  • The Lord is my Deliverer
  • The Lord is my Shield
  • The Lord is my Strength
  • The Lord is my Confidence
  • The Lord is my Salvation

ROCK, FORTRESS, DELIVER, SHIELD STRENGTH, CONFIDENCE AND SALVATION.

The first word we are going to look at is:

ROCK


This is going to require a Bible and a note book.
What are God’s promises in these verses? Read through each verse first. What is the meaning of each verse and what is God saying to us through them?

  • 1 Samuel 2:2
  • 2 Samuel 22:47
  • Psalm 27:5
  • Psalm 31:3
  • Matthew 7:24
  • Matthew 16:18
  • Psalm 18:31

What are God’s promises in these verses?

The Lord is Holy, God is the Rock and I am special. The Lord is alive and He is my rock of Salvation. Exalt Him! God hides me and is my Protector. God leads and guides me.

Build your life On Jesus as your source. Build your foundation strong. I will build upon You and not even hell can stop you. When you are weak I will make you Strong.

In the Old Testament verses, the rock is referring to God, but in the New Testament in 1 Corinthians 10:4 the rock is Jesus Christ. 

I found that this is what it was saying to me:

We need to learn to trust God and choose to believe that the Lord will never forsake us. To know that the Word of God is the Truth. To expect that God wants to protect us and to believe He loves you. To commit your plans to Him daily in prayer.

Do you know that a rock is very strong and impenetrable? It is so comforting to know that God is stronger than the strongest rock and that He can protect me like nothing else can!

Our next word we are going to have a look at is:

FORTRESS


Psalm 31: 2
2 Samuel 22:2
Nahum 1:7
Psalm 144:1-2
Psalm 91:1-2

In the past people lived in Fortresses. Around the Fortress was high walls closed with high gates for safety. What a promise God is making to us.

I will be your fortress. I will keep you safe from your enemies. I will be your rock of refuge, a fortress of defense and your deliver. The One in whom you can take refuge and trust. If you remain under the protection of the shadow of the almighty you can have all these things. He is saying don’t go out of the fortress, for I am your protection, stay in me and I in you.

The next word we are going to look at is:

DELIVERER


  • Daniel 3:27-28
  • Daniel 6:22
  • Psalm 91:11-15
  • Matthew 6:13
  • Matthew 27:43
  • 2 Timothy 4:17-18

People gathered around to gloat and to watch Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego thrown into the fire. This fiery furnace was huge and King Nebuchadnezzar ordered the fire to be made seven times hotter than usual. The fire did not touch them but the amazing thing to me is their hair was not singed nor did they even smell of fire. They were protected by an angel.

Psalm 91:11 is a promise, God the Father will send his angels to protect you, so call to Him. He cannot help you unless you ask because He gave man a free will. You can ask for help, or try on your own.

Jesus taught us to pray the “Our Father” to put a hedge of protection around us and our loved ones. God sent Jesus to deliver us, just because He loves us.

We should realize we are already delivered and not return to bondage. Through each one of us the message should be proclaimed. Jesus will give you and me the strength to do it. He will protect us. Jesus has set us free from the spirit of fear.

The next word we are going to look at is:

STRENGTH


  • 2 Timothy 4:17
  • 2 Samuel 22:3
  • 2 Samuel 22:40
  • Psalm 27:1
  • Psalm 29:11
  • Psalm 73:26
  • Exodus 15:2

Isaiah 7:14 shows us here in the Old Testament that the Father is promising us Jesus. If you are in Christ you have atonement. Atonement means redemption from sins. The Lord God is your inner strength. He will fill you with peace. You can change but God will never change.

By receiving Jesus as your savior God becomes your Father. Jesus is our salvation. I will exalt Him and sing praises to Him because My Father is God.

Be strong and confident, God is at work in you. Strength will guide you in truth that will set you praising and singing songs to God.

The next word we are going to look at is:

SHIELD


  • Deuteronomy 33:27-29
  • Genesis 15:1
  • 2 Samuel 22:31
  • Psalm 91:4

In times of trouble I find I want to go to somebody that I can trust and that will understand me, strengthen encourage me and protect me. Somewhere I will feel safe.

Yes Father who is like You?

The Bible is written in the present tense. In Deuteronomy 33:27 “Underneath are the everlasting arms… A promise “My arms are around you forever.”

God also said, “No good things will I withhold from my children.” He will only give you everything of the best.

We take our eyes off God too quickly and attempt to do it in our own strength. We forget who is in control.

The next word we are going to look at is:

CONFIDENCE


  • Psalm 16
  • Habakkuk 3:17-19
  • Psalm 71:5
  • Psalm 20:4-7
  • Psalm 23:4
  • Psalm 27:3

I wondered what it meant to have feet like a deer. A deer is sure footed. He climbs high up a ledge to find a little food.

On high small ledges, (so I think it means) – knowing God protects us, to confidently have faith and hope in Him and not negative circumstances. You will confidently conquer and prosper in everything.

In the armor of God, feet are especially important to carry the message forward.

Love moves confidence, which leads to hope which becomes courage and leads to strength, which gives deliverance through repentance which activates your shield that surrounds you, so that you can stand like a strong tower.

The next word we are going to look at is

SALVATION


  • Ephesians 1:3-14
  • Isaiah 45:17
  • Jeremiah 3:23
  • Luke 1:69
  • Romans 1:16
  • 2 Corinthians 6:2
  • 2 Thessalonians 2:13
  • Psalm 27:1
  • Isaiah 12:2

God will never disgrace us, because He loves us. We never have to be afraid. God provided us with a savior all we have to do is believe. God chose us first. He chose to save us through His Son Jesus.

Let us trust God and not be afraid. Salvation means a heavenly pardon.

God’s secret plan was revealed by Jesus.

Paul says God choose us before we were born, out of love.

When we receive Jesus we are sons and daughters of God. For by the blood of Christ ours sins are forgiven. This is Gods great plan, to give you salvation through Jesus. It is a free choice. If you believe and receive Jesus Christ as the Lord and savior of your life, God puts His stamp of ownership on you.

When Jesus died God left the Holy Sprit with us on earth, so that we could have a helper. When we die as believers we have the promise of eternal life with Jesus.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” NKJV

What a promise from a loving Father! In Psalm 18:2, God is mentioned as the “horn of my salvation.” A horn goes before the animal, rhino and a buck. So the word, horn of salvation means Jesus goes before you. Jesus is the horn of your salvation.

We have finished looking at the meaning of the different words. Before we conclude let us take a look at Gods qualities in Psalm 115.

Read the Psalm (Good News Translation) through carefully.

What does it say?

Verse 1 constant love and faithfulness
Verse 9-11 three times the people are told to trust God to protect them
Verse 12 states that God will always remember and bless us.

Did you notice something? A promise and adding to the promise. The words love and faithfulness, helps and protects, remembers and will bless.

What kind of love has God promised? Constant never ending love, but it does not stop there and I will do something else for you. I will (present tense) be faithful, I will help and protect you, I won’t only help you I will remember you and I will still go further, I will bless you.

I have aimed at you reading the scripture for yourself. I believe that God anoints His Word and that revelation knowledge comes from it.

Can we approach God with love if we do not know Him?
Do we know God or do we know of Him?

I would like you to discover Gods’ love for you by getting to know Him better and to discover the power of His Word.

Read through these scriptures.

  • Isaiah 40:11
  • Psalm 139:2
  • Genesis 1:27
  • Psalm 139:15-16
  • Psalm 139: 14
  • 1John 4:16
  • Jeremiah 29:11
  • Jeremiah 31:3
  • Psalm 139:17-18
  • Zephaniah 3:17
  • Jeremiah 33:3
  • Deuteronomy 4:29
  • Philippians 2:13
  • 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
  • Isaiah 40:11
  • John 7:23
  • John 17:26
  • Romans 8:32
  • Luke 15:7

Abide in Christ Jesus and acknowledge Him in all you do, resting in His protection and salvation. Read Hebrews 4:14-16

Let us develop our relationship with God and learn to know who He is. Read 1 John 4:7-19. God is Love verse 7-8. God loved us enough to send His only son to die for us, verse 9-10. Because He is Love, verse 16. There is no fear in love verse 18. God the Father loved me first verse 19.

The Lord is our rock. Have you ever said that? Do you know what it means? God is our foundation, an unmovable foundation. We need to confidently build our lives and faith upon God. We serve an incredible God, which allows us to call Him Father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment